Monday 4 July 2022

Solace in Poems of Emily Dickinson





Emily Dickinson's poems found way into my to-read list when I watched the movie Sophie's Choice, one of the earliest career-defining (and oscar-winning) performances of Meryl Streep as a holocaust survivor who has to endure the outcomes of the choices she made in life. It is hard to recall what made me note the name of the poet then, about three years ago. Perhaps it was the effect of recital of one of her poems in the movie.

Although her entire collection of poems are available in the public domain, I bought this Barnes and Noble edition (cover in the pic) with about 175 of her poems just for its cover. Isn't it lovely?!

This collection and the series on Project Gutenberg page begins with her poem:

This is my letter to the world,
That never wrote to me, —
The simple news that Nature told,
With tender majesty.

Her message is committed
To hands I cannot see;
For love of her, sweet countrymen,
Judge tenderly of me!

ED remained a recluse for most of her life. But when reading her poems she comes across as the friend who discusses everything under the sky with you. She finds solace in nature: the mountains, stars, sky, birds, frogs, bees, grass, nectar and uses them as metaphors when mulling over pain and joy, freedom and bondage, grief and hope, death and immortality. Her words are reassuring of how views and beliefs can be put across without being offensive. More often, her words had a calming effect on me.


Sometimes, if it feels that the world is more chaotic than one can handle, her words would be a sure safe haven.

The series Dickinson is a modern take on the life of this 19th century poet. Starring the amazing Hailee Steinfeld (True Grit, Hawkeye), I think young-adult literature buffs would find it interesting.

Do you add literary works to your to-reads when you see them being referenced in a movie or TV show ? Which ones? I have a list :)


No comments:

Post a Comment